Monday, August 17, 2009

Yogalates

The word aerobics came about when the gym instructors got together and said, "If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it jumping up and down." ~Rita Rudner

Yogalates. Yep, it's a real word. Parker and I try to go to the gym a couple of times each week. Some weeks we're a lot better about going than others but we always try to make the effort. (It's the thought that counts, right?) Lately though, I've been really bored with my regular work-out and have had no motivation to go the gym. What better way to stop boredom than to try something new, right? I discovered pilates earlier in the summer and have absolutely loved it. I did a little research and found out that the instructors I go to also teach several other types of classes. One of them being yogalates. I thought I'd give it a try. It's just like it sounds--a blend of pilates and yoga. Pilates works your core muscle groups and is a really good work-out. Yoga uses different stretching techniques and works to calm your center and help you release inner frustrations. I thought I was in for a relaxing-muscle working-inner calming work out. Boy was I wrong. Let me tell you, it's A LOT harder than it looks. I discovered that I have no flexibility whatsoever and muscles I didn't know existed (and yes they are still sore). However, it was a lot of fun, really energizing, and I got a great work-out for my entire body without having to hit the treadmill or do aerobics. So if anybody out there is looking to get away from their regular cardio exercises, I'd definitely recommend yogalates.

No comments:

Post a Comment